Initiatives in Environmental Engineering Education
Curricula of Environmental Engineering studies have been seen as an important area of ITN's activity and an intensive exercise was carried out with respect to curricula of undergrad level at earlier stage of ITN activities. At a later stage, the curricula developed earlier for the undergraduate level was reviewed for its appropriateness in the context of the continued development particularly in the WSS sector in the country. In response to the request from the Directorate of Technical Education, ITN-BUET provided its services towards reorientation of curricula of Environmental Engineering studies of diploma level. In both these two levels senior faculty of Environmental Engineering Division of BUET played the lead role. These curricula are now being followed in the engineering universities and polytechnic institutes in the country.
Important initiatives of ITN in the education of environmental engineering are to:
- Improve and increase the teaching of appropriate technologies within existing taught courses throughout Bangladesh through changes in syllabi, development of textbook and the training of teaching staff.
- Improve the availability of high quality teaching materials for trainers and participants.
Professional Development Courses
Training front has always been considered as the major activity area of ITN. Specialized and orientation courses were designed and conducted in order to address knowledge gaps prevailing in the sector. Needs Assessment have been carried out through a consultation process involving all major stakeholders at strategic time horizon. As regard quality of services of this front the quality assurance and quality control process (QA-QC) were designed and set in motion with utmost importance. Each training undertaking was put to evaluation for further improvement.
To strengthen the capacity of government, local government institutions and non-government stakeholders at all levels ITN has been organizing a lot of training activities. ITN is offering ToT, orientation and specialized courses on various topics related in water supply and sanitation sector. ITN has so far organized more than 120 specialized training programmes. The centre is motivated to identify the gaps in the sector and training packages including courses, modules and materials according to the sector needs.
Popular Training Programs
- Training Course on Facing the Challenges of Climate Change: Issues, Impacts and Adaptation Strategies for Bangladesh
- Specialized Course on Water Safety Plan
- Specialized Training Course on Urban Sanitation and its Challenges
- Training Course on Solid Waste Management
- Specialized Course on Arsenic Contamination in Bangladesh
- Specialized Course on Training Skill Development
- Training Course on Gender and Participation in WatSan Development
- Specialised Course on Logical Framework Approach Towards Planning Sustainable Development of WatSan
- Specialized Course on Computerized Evaluation Process and Techniques of Training Courses(The QA Model)
Other Training Programs
- Training Course on Participatory Management of Low-cost Water Supply and Sanitation
- Orientation Course on Water Supply and Waste Management for Graduating Students
- Training Course on Low Cost Water Supply and Waste Management
- Course on Logical Framework Approach in Planning Sustainable Development of WSS
- Irrigation Water Analysis and Application of Spectrophotometer of for Laboratory Personnel
- ToT for Polytechnic Teachers
- Training Course on Training Skill Development
- Training Course on QHRA Model
- Specialized Course on Water Quality Surveillance
- Specialized Course on Construction Supervision of Rural Piped Water Supply System